Springfield Urban League Robotics Program competes in the FRC Robotics League under US FIRST. This program combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams of 25 students or more are challenged to raise funds, design a team "brand," hone teamwork skills, and build and program a robot to perform prescribed tasks against a field of competitors. It's as close to "real world" engineering as a student can get. Professional Mentors volunteer their time and talents to guide each team. Our robotics program is a unique Sport for the MindTM designed to help school-aged youth discover how interesting and rewarding the lives of engineers and scientists can be.
Students have the opportunity to:
- Work alongside professional engineers
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design
- Learn and use sophisticated hardware and software
- Be exposed to design, project management, programming, teamwork, strategic thinking, and CooperationTM
- Earn a place in the Championship
- Qualify for nearly $15 million in college scholarships
During our rookie season during 2011-12 school year, the Leagues team made it to the semi finals and placed 23 out of 54 teams. We salute the team for their outstanding achievement and are excited about its continued success.